Identity Protection While On Vacation
We all love going on vacation. It’s the time we give ourselves to forget about all of our worries and remove all stress. If you really want to enjoy your summer vacation, then take the precautions to protect yourself against identity theft before you head out. That way, you will be able to feel at ease and make the most out of your time off.
However, before we get to fully enjoy all those wonderful days coming ahead, we need to do some sort of preparation for not only the summer we love. In fact, thieves love stealing from others during this season as well. For them, people become more vulnerable during the warmer months since vacationers are more focused on relaxing rather than the security of their identities, and that is why criminals can so easily take advantage of the season. That being the case, summer is the perfect time for thieves to collect all the information they need to hijack an identity.
The good news is that you can do something to lower your risk in becoming a victim, even when you are on your summer vacation or travelling far from home.
Listed are some identity protection tips that will help minimize your risk:
Things you need to do before you leave:
- Contact your bank and your credit card company to let them know that you are travelling as well as to know where you would be travelling. That way, they can prevent any charges done from a different location. Instead, they would only allow charges made on your destination. If you have a good bank, then they would let you know if there have been charges that seemed to be suspicious.
- Limit the number of people you have told about your vacation or travel. Even though you might want to share everything about your vacation on your social media accounts, try to control it and instead, share it upon your return. Most of the identity thieves look out for people who are currently not in their homes especially during the months when people love travelling.
- Ask the post office to hold all mail for the duration of your trip. That way, you are assured that important documents would not be placed on your mailbox while you are away. Moreover, if it has been left sitting there for a long time, chances are other people could pick them up. It is also one way to avoid the piling up of mail in your mailbox, which gives the others, especially the thieves, a sign that you are currently not in your home.
- Only take the necessary documents and leave the others in a safe place if you are not going to use them during your vacation. Taking them all might only lead to losing them.
Things you need to do while you are on a vacation:
- Keep all your documents safe especially those containing sensitive information. Never ever leave your documents such as passports in the room you are staying in. Other people might also have an access to it. If the room has a safe, then better keep your documents there. However, things like your license should always be with you.
- Only use secured networks and never ever use an unsecured one such as a public Wi-Fi. Even vacation destinations these days provide an internet connection. However, not all of them are secured. Unsecured networks are much easier to hack. Moreover, acquiring sensitive information can be done without exerting a lot of effort. You should never access your online accounts unless the connection is secure and password protected.
- Check your bank statements from time to time. Whether you are on vacation or not, you should periodically check your bank statements. Discovering unauthorized charges would be faster that way, so be sure to use a secured internet connection.
- Never forget to set up a password to all of your devices as a precautionary measure in case one gets stolen or you lose it somewhere. Remote wiping is also a great idea. That way, if you can’t retrieve your phone, at least you are assured that nobody would get their hands on the information on your device.
By doing all these things, you will have a better peace of mind during your vacation.